Friday, September 17, 2021

Psalm 130 - A Communion Meditation




“The way to cover our sin is to uncover it by confession.” 
Richard Sibbes
- 16th Century Anglican Theologian

Cry of Repentance (vs. 1-2)

 

Psalm 130: 1-2 “Out of the depths I cry to you, O Lord; O Lord, hear my voice. Let your ears be attentive to my cry for mercy.”

 

“Mercy” – the bridge that spans the Pit and God

 

·      Psalmist acknowledges he is asking for what he does NOT deserve – Mercy.

·      Yet he knows his God...who is rich in mercy.

 

Ephesians 2:4-5 – “Because of his great love for us, God, who is rich in mercy, made us alive with Christ even when we were dead in transgressions – it is by grace you have been saved.”

 

“Repentance” = Activator of Mercy’s restoration

 

·      Psalmist admits he’s in the “depths”

o   “Out of the Depths” = the natural consequence (most common expression) that sin leads us

 

·      Usually associated with Death or a Grave Situation...

 

...sometimes caused by other people...

...sometimes the result of our sin.

 

Holman Commentary – “When confession of sin and repentance are real, they will not be mumbled in a casual, halfhearted manner. True repentance always has an element of brokenness, a feeling of guilt that must be cleansed. His cry for mercy is a confession of sin, seeking forgiveness from God.”

 

App: As we come to the Table tonight, we come because God is merciful... 

 

...not wanting to give us what we deserve...

 

...but willing to show us his grace.

 

Cry of Forgiveness (vs. 3-4)

 

Psalm 130: 3-4 “If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? But with you there is forgiveness; therefore you are feared.”

 

Application: Too often we blame other people or things for our “depths”.

 

Genesis 3:12 – The man said, “The woman you put here with me - she gave me some fruit from the tree, and I ate it.”

 

** Good News...God keeps no record of sin!

 

·      Psalm 103:12 – “As far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.”


·      Psalm 130:3 – the rhetorical “if” ... “If you, O Lord, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand?  But with you there is forgiveness.”

 

Cry of Anticipation (vs. 5-6)

 

Psalm 130: 5-6 – “I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope. My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.”

 

“Wait” = connotes active anticipation.

 

Point: The assurance of forgiveness frees the Psalmist to actively seek the blessings of God.

 

App: Stuck in bondage? ...not feeling free?

 

...You are likely not fully assured of forgiveness!

 

Cry of Confidence (vs. 7-8)

 

Psalm 130: 7-8 – “O Israel, put your hope in the Lord, for with the Lord is unfailing love and with him is full redemption. He himself will redeem Israel from all their sins.”

 

** “Waiting” has its fruit = Hope (i.e.: confidence)

 

** What is our Hope?   From the Heidelberg Catechism

 

Question 1: What is your only comfort in life and death?

 

Answer 1: That I am not my own, 1but belong with body and soul, both in life and in death, to my faithful Savior Jesus Christ. He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, and has set me free from all the power of the devil. He also preserves me in such a way that without the will of my heavenly Father not a hair can fall from my head; indeed, all things must work together for my salvation. Therefore, by his Holy Spirit he also assures me of eternal life and makes me heartily willing and ready from now on to live for him. 10

 

1. 1 Corinthians 6:19, 20.

2. Romans 14:7-9.

3. 1 Corinthians 3:23; Titus 2:14.

4. 1 Peter 1:18, 19; 1 John 1:7; 2:2.

5. John 8:34-36; Hebrews 2:14, 15; 1 John 3:8.

6. John 6:39, 40; 10:27-30; 2 Thessalonians 3:3; 1 Peter 1:5.

7. Matthew 10:29-31; Luke 21:16-18.

8. Romans 8:28.

9. Romans 8:15, 16; 2 Corinthians 1:21, 22; 5:5; Ephesians 1:13, 14.

10. Romans 8:14.





No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Truth?

Faith Fellowship Boca · Truth ** Truth must come  first ...   . ..Truth inspires  Reason  and  Faith  which produce sound  Belief .   3 Con...