Tuesday, August 16, 2022

In God We Trust - James 4:11-17


 Key Verses - “Now listen, you who say, ‘Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.’ Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.” - James 4:13-14

 

Trusting Myself Means…

 

A. Trusting my Instincts.

 

Translation:  We often call this an “Educated Guess

 

B. Trusting my Experience.

 

Translation: I’ll trust my successes from the past...and my preparation for the present.


Application:  Experience can lull us into a false confidence.

 

James 4:16 - “As it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil.

 

C. Trusting my Judgment.

 

Translation: I’m smart...I’ll just use my Brain power.  

 

Question:  What happens when things don’t make sense

 

D.  Trusting my Heart.

 

Translation: I feel strongly about this.

 

Problem:  Our hearts can be misled.



Trusting God Means…

 

A. Starting with God’s Will.

 

James 4:15 - “Instead, you ought to say, ‘If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.’”  

 

Matthew 6:33 - “Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”

 

** How to “Start with God’s will”?  

 

1)  Consult the Bible – has God revealed his will for my situation?

 

2)  Prayer – what is God saying to me about my situation?

 

B. Seeking Godly counsel.

 

Henri Nouwen - “Perhaps the main task of the minister is to prevent people from suffering for the wrong reasons.”

 

Proverbs 15:22 - “Plans go wrong for lack of advice; many counselors bring success.”  (NLT)

 

Proverbs 19:20 - “Listen to advice and accept instruction, that you may gain wisdom for the future.”

 

Remember: Trust only those who are, themselves, trusting God.

 

C. Analyzing the Situation.

 

** God wants us to consider the variablesoptions and costs.

 

Luke 14:28 - “For which of you, intending to build a tower, does not first sit down and estimate the costto see whether he has enough to complete it?”

 

Application:  Counting the cost keeps us from impulsivity.

 

D. Striving for Holiness.

 

James 4:17 – “Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.”

 

Colossians 3:17 - “Whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.”

 

Application:  Striving for holiness keeps us intentionally focused...

 

…and being Focused keeps us alert to pitfalls that may trip us or the doors of opportunity that may open.

 



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What is Truth?

Faith Fellowship Boca · Truth ** Truth must come  first ...   . ..Truth inspires  Reason  and  Faith  which produce sound  Belief .   3 Con...